We’re looking for an enthusiastic front-end developer with knowledge of React that is based in the Netherlands to join our growing team and help us provide best-in-class innovative and immersive Web AR and Web VR experiences for our clients.
Arcade is an award-winning digital practice that specialises in using immersive technologies to create more meaningful connections between people and the spaces, places and objects around them. We work with a variety of sectors including heritage, arts & culture, visitor attractions, brands, retail, events and more, helping them to tell their stories and engage their audiences in new, immersive, gamified, three-dimensional ways.
We were given a boost early in our life when we were selected as one of ten businesses on Digital Catapult’s Augmentor programme in 2018, and since then we have grown into a practice with a broad and deep set of creative, technical and operational expertise which we have applied to a wide variety of client challenges, using technologies and platforms including computer vision, deep neural net machine learning, image and object recognition, SLAM, ARKit, ARCore, Web AR, Magic Leap, Lens Studio, Spark AR, Unity, Unreal and more.
Check out some of our work here!
We’d like you to:
- Provide technical development/coding for a myriad of projects from platforms to web-based applications, including Web AR and Web VR experiences.
- Input on UX and interface design
- Listen to Project Manager and Designer needs and be able to develop creative solutions to meet client objectives
- Take ownership of projects from the initial kick-off meeting to final deployment and beyond
- Work effectively in a team environment and be able to collaborate with all members of the Arcade team.
- Communicate development strategy, deliverables and project status to project managers on an ongoing basis to help set expectations and ensure clients and teams are comfortable with the project flow
- Stay current with new technologies and applications, and share these with the team.
- Actively participate in and contribute to creative development sessions, advising on and helping to develop creative concepts and flagging opportunities within major platforms and social media channels for ideas
- Participate in client meetings where technology/development is discussed
A little bit about you:
- Degree educated with a strong academic record and excellent attention to detail
- Have expertise and current understanding of mobile web development
- A proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Be dependable, consistent, and a detail-oriented individual who is confident working on projects from start to finish within an agency
- Excellent organisational skills. You must be able to prioritise, multi-task, work to deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Be self-motivated with lots of initiative and drive to succeed; you will get plenty of support but the ability to manage your own workload and identify ways to improve is crucial.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. The ability to think on your feet, to be creative and talk about a wide variety of complex issues will be an asset.
- A team player – it’s crucial that you’re likeable and authentic.
- A passion for everything digital, with an active interest and understanding of industry trends.
It would be beneficial to have:
- Awareness of VR and AR software solutions including WebAR, WebVR, Unity, Unreal, 8th Wall
- At least 2 years experience in creating digital experiences with an established agency or in-house team
- Experience with version control systems, preferably git
- Awareness of VR and AR hardware solutions
- Working knowledge of Google Drive, inc Docs, Sheets and Slides
- Working Knowledge of Keynote / Powerpoint
- Experience with project management platforms such as Trello, Basecamp, Float
- An attitude that doesn’t shy away from learning new technologies
What you can expect from us:
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-growing, dynamic practice who thrive in creating cutting-edge digital work for our clients. You will get the opportunity to take on additional responsibilities and to build on your skills and experience within a fun and rewarding working environment.
A day in the life of an Arcade employee looks like*:
09:00 AM – Start the day by checking your planning and compile a list of to-do’s.
09:30 AM – First coding session of the day!
10:30 AM – Daily meet with the rest of the team to share your day, stories and get the latest on each project.
11:00 AM – Second code session of the day!
13:00 PM – Lunch! Grab a coffee, take a walk or play a game of chess with one of your colleagues!
13:45 PM – Creative sessions for the project you are currently working on. Enhance design principles and address client feedback.
14:30 PM – Client sessions, talk through the progress of the current project.
15:00 PM – Last coding session of the day!
17:15 PM – Conclude the work day, push your code and plan the day ahead. Join the team for a beer and on Fridays we have VR sessions.
During the entire workday most co-workers are available and active on Slack to discuss challenges, ask for feedback or just to chat.
*As you find your way and place in the team these timings aren’t as set in stone and you will find a lot of freedom to schedule your own perfect work day.
Perks of the job:
Arcade is an international business, with an office in the UK and in the Netherlands.
Currently Arcade employees are all working from home, as per government guidance. Prior to Covid we were very proud of our Soho and Amsterdam studio, and once we are allowed to, we will be looking to move back into both capitals in a part-time studio space. In the meantime:
- We offer competitive pay
- Oculus Quest 2 Headset for home
- Company pension contributions
- 25 days holiday plus a bonus day off for your birthday
- Regular remote social events!
- London trips
Sounds like a good fit and curious about the next steps? Send us an email, we are excited to get the conversation going soon!